Thursday, April 28, 2011

Shakespearean Names (for girls!)

Hey! I decided why not have two posts dedicated around the same name theme? Why not Shakespeare? Having just finished Romeo and Juliet, I thought this would be a perfect time!


Juliet- This is such a classic and seemingly timeless name. It can be spelled the simple 'Juliet' or the much more trendier version of 'Juliette'. Not surprisingly, it's an English name and has the interesting meaning of Youthful and Downy. From Romeo and Juliet.


Portia- Although you may not think of this as a Shakespeare name, Portia was character in The Merchant of Venice. Portia is a Latin name and instead of a meaning, it's actually a Roman Clan Name. From the Merchant of Venice.


Regan- I talked about the name 'Reagan' in this post, but I haven't focused on it's other spelling, Regan. Regan is a Celtic or Gaelic name meaning Royal or Regal. This spelling isn't very popular, although I think it's kind of cool! From King Lear.


Isabella- This is a name we've all heard! It was the #1 in 2009 and still is on top on the popularity chart. Isabella, or more commonly shortened to 'Bella', rose in popularity after Twilight. It's is an Italian name and means God Is My Oath. From Measure for Measure.


So, what's your favorite Shakespeare name? I like Audrey from As You Like It and Helena from many of Shakespeare's works. You can find plenty of Shakespeare names here


Boy's Shakespeare names will be up tomorrow!
~Gabby

1 comments:

Eva said...

I like Bianca from Taming of the Shrew.

Post a Comment

Hi! Thank you for commenting and please be nice. Don't say anything offensive and please don't use internet language (but LOL is fine). Thanks for commenting- I love to here what you think!